Friday, October 2, 2009

BEST GAME EVER!

The title of this blog entry may make it seem like there is one game out there that I can really call a favorite. The truth is, I cannot name one single game as my favorite. The main reason for this being that I started playing games at a young age and as I grew up, my taste in games changed with me. A game that I would have considered my favorite when I was younger would have probably been replaced as the years went by.

For example, when I was younger my friend Amanda and I were obsessed with Donkey Kong 64 for Nintendo 64. This game revolved around not only Donkey Kong, but his family as well. Each member of this family had different special abilities that were required to advance in the game. Some of these that I found most memorable were Tiny Kong's ability to shrink and her ability to use her pig tails to hover in a helicopter-like fashion. One thing that sticks out in my mind the most is the very end of the game due to the fact that i was incredibly upset. We had finally gotten to the very end of the game and we discover we needed the "rareware coin" to complete the game. We had no idea where this coin was and we did not want to play the entire game over again to find it. As a result, the game went unfinished. To be fair, we were practically 99% done with the game. That coin was the one thing keeping us from the end credits.

As the years went by, I began to play darker and more mature games such as the Resident Evil franchise. My favorite among the franchise would have to be Resident Evil 5 mainly due to it's co-op play mode in which you and a friend could both play the story mode at the same time as the main character, Chris Redfield, and his partner, Sheva Alomar rather than taking turns or fighting against each other. There were days where my friend Angelo and I would play this game for hours and completely lose track of time. Its actually really fun to play a game like that with someone. To restore health, you needed green and/or red herbs so there were countless times when we would be in the middle of a big fight and we would yell "HEAL ME!" or "I NEED AMMO!" Once we finally completed the game, it was like we didn't know what to do with ourselves because it consumed so much of our time, we needed more.

I recently downloaded a demo for Batman: Arkham Asylum and I can honestly say that this would probably take the cake as my favorite game at this point in my life once I get around to actually getting it (maybe for my birthday!). The fighting style as well as familiar villains such as The Joker, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy (three of my favorites) make this game one of the best I've played in a while. Hopefully i'll get it soon and find myself unable to put the controller down.


1 comment:

  1. The characters in Batman are creepy; I guess that's the point. Donkey Kong was everyone's favorite at one point or another...
    Good

    ReplyDelete